Thursday, December 13, 2007

Wassail

This is my new favorite winter drink...okay well not quite, I still love my spice tea, but this is a close runner up. I've had arguments over the way it's pronounced so I had to look it up recently. It's derives from Germany and it can be pronounced either "wass-l' or "wa-sail"...so to those of you I argue with...we're are all right!!!!
Wassail makes everything smell Christmasy in the house. I absolutely love coming home to this while it's been cooking in the crock pot. It's spicy. It's sweet. It's citrusy (is that a word?) and it warms the heart. I made it for work last week to warm people from the freezing cold and it went over quite well.




Wassail
2 Quarts Apple Cider
2 Cups Orange Juice
2 Cups Pineapple Juice
1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
1 Cup Cranberry Juice
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
3-4 Cinnamon Sticks
1 Tblsp Nutmeg
1 Tblsp Allspice
3 Orange Spice Tea bags
2 Oranges Quartered (studded with whole cloves)
Cook in slow cooker or pan on low heat for 1-2 hours
This recipe can be made anyway you want. If you want it to be more cranberry-ish then by all means add more cranberry juice. It's all a matter of taste!

No comments: