Sunday, February 14, 2010

This Is How It's Done

I yelled "Kiss her! Kiss!!" He smiled and obliged. When I put the camera down, he whispered to me that he would have done that again and again without having to be asked.
And that's what makes them work.

I'm grandparent-less. In the last 8 years I have lost them all. These two have witnessed my heartbreak and always lent a shoulder. They have willingly and openheartedly become the fill ins for me, and even though waking up to the smell of bacon makes me miss my own family, it's makes me grateful to be part of this one as well.

I have watched the two of them argue. I have watched the two of them hold hands through every family wedding we've attended. He calls her "Mackie" something I've heard no one else call her. My son calls her Grandma Mac and Cheese (that's what he thought Mackie stood for), also a name no one else calls her. They are both stubborn. They are both hard headed. They both love each other fiercely.

A couple of years ago, she was struggling for her life. He kept vigil by her bedside for months and months and months. She was not expected to live and miraculously came around and is now home. The only place he wanted her to be. With him.

And this...this is how it's done. Love that is.

Song: Til I Kissed Ya, Everly Brothers

6 comments:

Martha/Marti said...

Awesome photographs, awesome story.

Kara said...

Aww!!!

boywva said...

Neat!

Holly said...

So sweet!

Ash and Afton said...

Oh man did that bring out the tears :) Good ones of course! What amazing role models we have.

Amy Benzenhafer said...

You are so talented. I love reading what you write.