Saturday, November 20, 2010

Roller Skating Child

There were some things I did as a kid that I really want to share with my little boy. Ok... there are A LOT of things that I did as a kid that I want him to experience, but I think I not only want him to experience them, but I want him to enjoy them. Laugh while we're doing them. Remember them.

I roller skated almost as much as I rode a bike when I was a kid. I was one of those children at the roller skating rink involved in all the games they play. I would race around all the kids and fling myself backward and forward and upside down. (OK, I don't remember being upside down) My parents used to skate with us. For those who know my dad's size...it was pretty amazing to see him on skates, and skate well at that.

So I took my kiddo. On a Friday night to the rink. I was completely surprised. I thought it would be empty. Deserted. But, just the opposite. It was jam packed! The two brothers in the below pictures.... they weren't as excited to skate as I was. But me... I jumped right in there, flung myself backward and took my little boy's hand and led him around the rink. Over and over. By the end he was actually pushing his feet instead of flailing.  And he was standing in the middle under the disco ball dancing.

Now I know these aren't the most fantastic, beautiful photos.... but they are my everyday life. I was to preserve that.


2 comments:

Krista said...

I love the "everyday" pictures!! Rollerskating is something I never learned to do but it looks like so much fun!

Shannon said...

I love love love these!!