Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Rugs and Rags

One of the reasons I started this blog was to not only keep friends, family and strangers up on how big my kiddo is growing, how big other kiddos are growing and the world around me, but to share ideas and little projects that keep me busy. The little projects have been few and far between lately. Life gets in the way sometimes. However, I take a couple months off from my all consuming "hobby" and get to play for a few weeks. So, in the wake of holidays, (they are very very close) I wanted to get some gifts in the works.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have always loved buying gifts, but I have more so loved making gifts. I've been wanting to try these for a long time now, but had no idea really where to start, so Monday night, I jumped right in. I tore some sheets up and crocheted them into a rug. Really....not that hard as long as you know the basics of crocheting. It's like making a GINORMOUS potholder....but instead you now have a rag rug!

As most of you know, I love making things out of recycled stuff. Old sheets are a perfect thing to make things out of. I found this video and then followed it to the site to get better directions. But basically all I did was make a double chain stitch for 6 stitches and then go around over and over again, adding a stitch here and there to keep it from curling up. ....and in case you couldn't find your way around here are the basic instructions to make it!




3 comments:

Karin Dale said...

I have been looking for a rag rug for ages. NEVER occurred to me to make one. I've got to check out this video and see if I could swing it!! This is gorgeous!!

Stacey J. said...

It's really easy Karin!!! I think I will make my next one a sqare though. If you have any trouble , just give me a holler!!

Kara said...

Stacey, that's amazing! It's beautiful!