Friday, October 3, 2008

When Life Gives You Plums..

What the heck do you do with them???? A huge basket of plums was bestowed upon me this week. Little ripe plums. I love plums. They are addicting, like sunflower seeds. Once you start it's hard to stop. But there were sooooo many. So I searched and searched and asked around and I decided the easiest thing to do was to make bread. ( I was looking for something uncomplicated) Sweet plum bread. Reddish Purple plum bread. Apparently it's a holiday tradition for people to make plum bread for Christmas. The sugar plum fairies must have started that one as I have never had it for the holidays.
So, I found a recipe and twisted it and turned it until it came out with all the ingredients that I had in the house. (Sometimes I run out of things, and though I live within walking distance of a grocery store, sometimes I just don't like to go there with a two year old. I normally end up coming out of there with 57 things I did not need)



So without further adieu.....

Plum Bread

Ingredients:

1 cup veggie oil (I substituted 1/2 cup of this for yogurt)

3 eggs

10 little plums seeded and skins removed. (I also read you can use plum baby food 2 jars)

2 cups white sugar

a few drops red food coloring (optional)

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon cloves

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 table spoon lemon juice

In a bowl mix together veggie oil, white sugar, eggs, plums, lemon juice and food coloring. In separate bowl mix together dry ingredients. Mix both bowls together. Pour in 2 greased bread loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Sprinkle with powdered sugar when finished.

No comments: