Friday, August 6, 2010

Sticks and Stones

 I picked out the color for the downstairs accent wall pretty early on in the project. It's a boy area down there, but I still want it to be comfortable for everyone. So, it's got a good mix of rustic and modern things in it. I wanted it to feel warm. Cozy. Comforting. Relaxing. Yet.... kind of a little itty bit stylish.


Well...it's kind of hard to be stylish with a giant breaker box in the middle of the room. This breaker box was in the room where we put the bathroom on the other side of that wall and of course that disrupts all kinds of codes, so we simply turned it around and put it in the living room. Well, then we really didn't know what to do with it, so our contractor built a frame around it. Then we had him add another frame on top of that (beveled out in the back so it can hold something) and attached it so it opens like a door. So all we had to do was find something to put in it. Originally, I was going to put a photograph. Woodsy one. BUT...they are kind of all over the house, SO. I made a clock. Out of sticks.
The whole project cost me less than $10.  I just bout a piece of foam board and then painted the same color as the accent wall. Then I attached the clock mechanism (you can buy at most any craft shop) and then cut sticks for the numbers. It worked out perfectly.  I love building things out of sticks!!! And the great thing about it.... it's removable. I can change it at anytime, which knowing me I will. Several times over.

2 comments:

Louise said...

How original! Just when I think you've outdone yourself, you do it again and again. :) It's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.