Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I want to blow out another wish......



The day before he was born, I found myself in the doctor's office for one of my twice-weekly stress tests. I got to get hooked up to machines for an hour twice a week and listen to my baby move around for a whole hour. It was my favorite part of my pregnancy. I relished every second of it. I had also been having contractions and was able to see them happen and not feel them for a month, so I'm grateful I wasn't allowed to have him on my own, as I was induced. Less than 24 hours later, a trip to the jewelry shop (I needed some earrings for the occasion), a Chinese dinner, and a sleepless night later, he was here.

His nose was smashed. His toenails were non-existent and he was really really hairy. Black hair. He was the most beautiful boy I had ever seen. I didn't sleep that night either. I held him from the minute they handed him to me, until the minute we left (with the occasional relative sneaking in a second here and there), and then I held him for the next 6 months 24 hours a day. I became an overprotective mother the minute he arrived. I became what I think I was always suppose to be. He brings out the best in me. I'm am so grateful for the color he has brought to my life.
He's three today. Three. He talks...no he jabbers in full sentences and demands to be heard. After he blew out his candles tonight, he asked if he could do it again, because he wanted another wish. It's hard to choke back tears when you have to tell them it's another year away and they will have to wait, secretly wishing inside that year will go by ever so slowly.
Happy Birthday baby boy.

6 comments:

Louise said...

What a treat to have your birthdays one day apart. Happy Birthday to Parker! My son Hunter is 3 as well. It is such a fun age (they all are). :)

Kara said...

Oh, and I missed it last night! Dang it!

Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday dear Parker,
Happy birthday to you!!!!!

Can't believe he's 3 already. Where does the time go?!

Stacey J. said...

Kara... me neither. I cry every single year. It's going to be embarrassing for him when he gets older. Thanks for singing to him!

Louise, yes it's wonderful. He was actually suppose to come on my birthday, but I begged the Dr. to wait another day as I didn't want him to have to share his special day with me. It's the best age. I love it!!!

Unknown said...

That photo is great! Happy Birthdays.

Lisa Walsh said...

Awww...Happy Belated Birthday Parker!!!

Misty Jones Photography said...

Awwww! Happy Birthday Parker! What a sweet story! My little guy just turned 3 in November and I know exactly what you mean! :)