Thursday, January 7, 2010

Reusable Resource Cookies



The following recipe is a rarity cooked in my family. They are my brother's favorite cookie, but being a diabetic, he doesn't get to eat many, if any. So we eat them for him. (Though, technically, I shouldn't be eating them either!) Now, if I call them by their real name... I get disgusted looks, especially from young people. So I won't call them by their real name. But the key ingredient in these cookies is what makes them taste out of this world, and back in the day, it was a clever way to use such ingredient.

What ingredient am I talking about.....
Bacon grease.
Think about it. What is butter? Grease.
What is oil? Grease that isn't solidified.
So what is wrong with bacon grease. Nothing! It's just flavored.
Now before you scoff... try. Seriously. They. Are. Fan-tast-ic!!!! And I am not even a cookie eater.
Unless oreos are in the house.
Which they never are.
Because I would eat a bag at one sitting.
They are that irresistible to me.
Then I wouldn't be able to move for three days.
Because I would turn into one giant cream stuffed oreo.

Reusable Resource Cookies
1 and 1/2 cup if raisins. Cooked over medium heat until plump. (Cover in water) Reserve 1 cup of raisin water. Drain the rest of the raisins.

1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup creamed bacon grease (cooled)
2 Eggs
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon Cinnamon.
1 cup raisin water
1 teaspoon soda

Cream together sugar and bacon grease. Add two eggs. combine 3 cups flour, nutmeg and Cinnamon. Add to mixture. Add one teaspoon soda to the reserved raisin water. Mix together with above mixture. Stir in raisins.

Heat oven to 350 degrees and back for 9 minutes. These cookies are so soft and wonderful!!!!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Yum, yum, yum! Bacon grease can never be bad. :)