Saturday, May 1, 2010

Vanilla Orange Yogurt Mousse

Ever since I started experimenting with desserts, I have come to love mousse. I had never tried mousse until a couple years ago, and what I like about it.... it's fluffy. I love fluffy light food. There's something about it that makes me feel light and happy. Kinda feel like I could dance atop the clouds or take a nap there.

I found this new awesome recipe. I jazzed it up a little and it turned out completely fantastic. The kicker.... I put granola on it. IT MADE IT SO GOOD!!! It was a sweeter type of granola, but it still had nuts and oats, etc. LOVED IT!

Ingredients:
1 package granulated gelatin or 6 sheets of gelatin
1/4 c. water
1 3/4 c. yogurt, plain or vanilla (can also use a fruit flavored if you want to)
2 T. powdered sugar, or to taste
2 T. frozen orange juice concentrate
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 pint whipping cream
Granola for topping

Preparation: Soften gelatin in the water for 5 minutes (for sheet gelatin, soak in plenty of cold water until soft, squeeze through and then heat to dissolve gelatin).Mix yogurt with sugar, orange juice concentrate and vanilla to taste. If you are using plain yogurt you may want more sugar.Heat and stir gelatin until just dissolved. Do not boil.Mix a little yogurt into gelatin and then mix the gelatin into the rest of the yogurt, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.Place container in a refrigerator and cool until it starts to thicken. (I let mine set overnight)Whip the cream until stiff, fold into the slightly thickened yogurt and refrigerate for several hours. ( I added about a tablespoon of powdered sugar to make sure it stiffened just right!)To serve: Wet a spoon or a scoop with cold water and form pretty scoops on a plate. Finish the dessert with fruit compote, pureed fruit sauce, fresh fruit or other. You may also wish to use the fruit and cream alternately in a parfait glass for a beautiful presentation. Do this before the cream gels and place the glasses in the refrigerator until serving time. Garnish with mint leaves, fruit, or granola.

Go give it try!

No comments: