Saturday, September 15, 2007

Pumpkin Roll

September 16th

The first time I ever had pumpkin roll I was living in the Springs and working at Goodwill. Jeanie, the lady who reminded so much of the little girl in Peanuts with bottle glasses and that dark brown bob,(I think her name was Marcie), made it for us. My first taste and I was in love with a food. I had to know how to make it. So.... I asked her. And she explained the whole process and by the time she was done I was worn out. My culinary talents were not that extensive. I could never do what she had just explained to me. Well, a couple years passed and I couldn't live without it (I had moved away from Jeanie and her fabulous pumpkin rolls) so, I found a recipe and gave it the it my best. It didn't turn out perfect, but first tries tend to not be perfect, but it sure did taste good!!!


So here I share the recipe for my favorite fall dessert.


Cake Ingredients:


2/3 cup Canned Pumpkin

1 cup Sugar

3 Eggs

3/4 cup Flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp Lemon Juice

2 tsp Cinnamon

1 tsp Ground Ginger

1/2 tsp Nutmeg

1/3 tsp Salt




Filling Ingredients

8 ounce package Cream Cheese

1 Cup Powdered Sugar

4 tbsp Butter

2/3 tsp Vanilla Extract



1. Beat eggs on high for 5 minutes (this is the key to making this.....if you don't do it it will not be fluffy and wonderful!!!)
2. Stir in at medium speed pumpkin and lemon juice.
3. Mix together dry ingredients: Flour, baking powder, and spices. Fold into pumpkin mixture.
4. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
5. Spread cake mix into a 15x10 jelly roll pan. (this looks like a cookie pan with little edges around it)
6. Bake for 15 minutes
7. Remove from oven and loosen edges with spatula.
8. Sprinkle powdered sugar on cheesecloth and turn cake onto the cheesecloth. (I normally just turn it over and let it set for a minute so it can loosen itself)
9. Roll warm cake up in cheesecloth and let cool to room temp.


Filling Preparation


1. Mix all ingredients until smooth
2. Unroll cake and remove cheesecloth.
3. Spread filling onto cake.
4. Re-Roll the cake
5. Chill for several hours or overnight
Hope you all enjoy.




















No comments: