Thursday, June 19, 2008

N'awlins Muffuletta

Olive haters please pass this one by. Skip down back to the cute babies. Because if you don't like olives you will be disgusted by this. I on the other hand, sit here drooling on my keyboard because this is a taste twisting sandwich that I adore.

I discovered this at a little restaurant here in town. The Sagebrush Sandwich Company. (they deliver for those of you that live here) It's a New Orleans specialty. I'm a big fan. Really big fan of sandwiches. Could live off them. (I know I've said that about a lot of things, but this time it's true.) They are fast and healthy (most only contain 45 grams of sugar if you don't go overboard with the extras) and you can eat them in the park, which is one of my most absolute favorite things to do in the summertime.




Ingredients:
1 cup Pimento stuffed Olives chopped
1/2 cup pitted Kalamata Olives crushed
1/2 cup Black Olives Crushed
1/4 cup Chopped Cauliflower (I didn't use that today)
2 tablespoons Capers chopped (I only used one because they are SOOO salty)
1 tablespoon chopped celery
1 tablespoon chopped carrot
1/2 cup pepperoncini
1/4 cup cocktail onions chopped
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 tsp dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil (I used fresh because I had it)
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
dash of olive oil
Italian Bread (I used wheat, but Italian is wonderful too)
Salami sliced
Ham sliced
Provolone sliced
(I've also had it with roast beef which is good as well)

To make olive salad:
Combine green olives, kalamata olives, black olives, capers, onions, celery, carrot, oregano, basil, vinegar, oil, pepperoncini, pepper, capers, cauliflower, and celery seed, Mix together and transfer to glass bowl. (non-reactive container)Cover and refrigerate overnight. (I just let mine sit for about three hours)



Make sandwiches as desired with meats and veggies of choice. Notice that pretty green lettuce....I picked it two minutes prior to making the sandwhich. Gotta love that!!! Normally they have tomatoes, but they aren't available here yet. And instead of eating them with chips I go with slices of jicama instead. It's a lot healthier and I'm a little addicted to it. Oh, and southern food always requires ice tea. Sweet tea actually.....but I kinda prefer just the regular kind.

4 comments:

Lisa Walsh said...

Lol! I know you said to pass it by, but I never do what I'm told. Olives... :(

Stacey J. said...

Sorry Lisa! I tried to warn you!

Misty Sparks :) said...

Oh, those look YUMMY!!

Jane Bingham said...

I will be trying this Olive Salad out!