Sunday, June 15, 2008

Rhubarb Cheesecake

When you have rhubarb start to take over your garden, looking like a rain forest, big enough for your kid to tie a rope from it and swing through it or build a tree house, it's time to do something with it. I always thought rhubarb was just for picking and dipping into a big bowl of sugar. At least that's what I thought as a kid. Well, this year I decided to get a little more creative and actually cook something with it. That's when I found it. The perfect recipe.




Rhubarb cheesecake. It's beautiful. I don't regularly choose cheesecake as a desert, but this really is different. It really is sooooo good. Give it a try. I bet you can't just eat one piece. You'll sneak another when no one is looking, hide in a corner and devour it. I don't personally know anyone who would do such a thing, but that's just what I'm guessing.


INGREDIENTS
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
3 cups chopped rhubarb
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs

1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract



DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup butter. Mix until crumbly and pat into the bottom of a 9 inch spring form pan.
In a medium bowl, toss together the chopped rhubarb, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon flour. Pour onto crust. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar until creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Pour over hot rhubarb in the pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until filling is set. (I turned the over off and let it cook for about 10 minutes longer and it seems to set really well) Cover with sour cream topping while still hot.
To make the sour cream topping: In a small bowl, combine 1 cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix well and spread on top of cake.

3 comments:

beth said...

That is great! Jeff and I are photocoping this recipe and trying it. We love cheesecake and we love strawberry rhubarb cake, so why not try rhubarb cheesecake!?! I'll tell ya what we think! Thanks!

JAKTH said...

I just picked my rhubarb a couple weeks ago and it is ready to be make in to cheesecake. Thanks for the new recipe. I was wondering what I was going to do with the rhubarb.

Stacey J. said...

I'm looking for some more recipes, I'll let you know if I find some more really good ones. This really is the BEST cheesecake I've had. I think it was the combination between the sweet and the sour.