Thursday, March 19, 2009

Vanilla Coconut Lotion Bars


The other day I ran out of this massage bar that I picked up a long long time ago. I was really bummed as I use it on my feet before bed to keep them from being cracked. Luckily the ingredients were printed right on top...and what do you know, I had all but one of them!!!!!
So today, I gave it a whirl. I made them really small. They fit in the palm of your hand. That way you can keep them in the kitchen or the bathroom or your desk and whenever you want to freshen up your hands (I do several times a day) just grab it. Instead of pulling out a big ol' tube and taking the lid off, etc. Kinda like a soap bar, only lotion! I made them in these little tins that I just happen to have in the kitchen. I believe they were from an antique shop or flea market, but I can't be sure.


The only thing I haven't been able to master is a scent that I'm completely in love with. While pomegranate remains my favorite, I would like to come up with something different. So all you scent masters out there, help me out!!!

Here's how I figured out how to make it. I didn't follow a recipe. It was a trial and error concoction. (by the way, if you want to smell like a fruit roll up...just mix coconut and pomegranate together....surprising several people I tested it on, really liked it!)


2 parts beeswax
1 part cocoa butter (the only ingredient I had to buy)
tad bit of olive oil (I'm ultra specific!)
tad bit of coconut oil
tad bit of almond oil
scent of choice (today I made vanilla coconut!)


I went the easy route and melted everything in the microwave, and then remelted if I didn't like it. You can also use the recipe for chapstick and instead of scent, use flavoring. I recommend the tubes, it's easier to apply.


5 comments:

Louise said...

What a great idea! I love vanilla and coconut. As usual, great photos Stacey!

Liz said...

Oh my goodness I saw these on sale for about $8 each at a craft show I went to last year. I'm totally making these...thanks for the recipe!

Sherrie said...

Brilliant! These are also great for babies' little cheeks (at both ends). You're my kind of crafty!

Beth said...

Lotion bars? That is new to me, but they look beautiful and I bet they smell great!

Lisa Walsh said...

Honestly, I don't know why you don't open up your own online store so you can sell this stuff. (To me.) I want to do it but I never seem to find the time. :(

-Lisa