Sunday, March 2, 2008

Minestrone in Minutes

Today I woke up to snow. Again. A blizzard actually. After a 70 degree day yesterday, I was completely irritated with the white stuff keeping me from lolly-gagging outside. Immediately after feeling the cold seep under my skin I yearned for soup. I love soup. I love sandwiches too. I'm a soup and sandwich girl and could live off them for months at a time. I wanted soup today so badly that I skipped eating breakfast at the "Egg and I" (a fantabulous place to eat) just so I could have soup instead. (thanks for the visit Emily!!).
This soup is so easy. And smells so warm. It's the perfect thing for a day like today. That and a book and a cup of tea and a quiet corner.
I don't really know why they call this Minestrone soup...there's no tomato, but I guess not all minestrone soup must have tomato.

Minestrone Soup
1/2 diced onion
2 Garlic minced cloves (I use four or five....)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cans of vegetable broth (you can use chicken too)
2 medium potatoes cut into cubes
1/3 bag of shell noodles of choice
1/2 bag frozen mixed veggies (I use the fiesta kinda or real veggies if I have time)
1 can kidney beans
1 tsp Italian seasoning
shredded Parmesan cheese

Saute onions and garlic over medium heat until onions are clear. Add veggie broth, potatoes and noodles and bring to a boil. Cook for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add veggies, beans and Italian seasoning (I add a few other things from the cupboard (garlic powder, season salt, salt and pepper, etc) until I get it to my liking. It's different every time.) Cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.

No comments: