Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Thief

The thing about having relatives living in the same town as you, is that sometimes, when you're gone, they raid your refrigerator. Then when you want something.....it's gone. And then you stomp your foot and shake your fists and yell into thin air about how unfair it is for someone to be able to steal things from your frigidaire. "Those darn relatives" you say.

I had my carrots stolen recently. Mainly because I didn't have the patience at farmers market earlier in the week for him (my brother-in-law) to talk on his phone (which should be implanted into his ear) and walk CLEAR to the other end of the market, just for carrots. (It would have taken at least an hour) I told him he could have a couple of mine. A couple. Sooooo, he stole mine. ALL of them. While I was out of town. Unable to guard my veggies. Sooooo, I had to dig some up from the garden. I tromped out to my garden, still mumbling under my breath of how I should just be able to go to my fridge and get my already peeled carrots. Not out here in the frigid cold digging in the dirt. I was also dreading what I would find. In the past my carrots have been meek and little. But to my surprise they were huge (well in my eyes they were.) Thank goodness they were good sized, otherwise I might have to put a pad lock on my fridge.

(By the way, the carrots he stole were used to cook a beautiful dinner of turkey breast covered in broth and spicy veggies.... so I'll let it slide for now....)

And this is what I made with the freshly dug carrots. John's Fried Rice. A man named John gave me the recipe. (can't tell that by the title can you?) He loves to share his food and recipes with people, so I thought I would pass it along. It's amazing. I always have it immediately after cooking a little ham. It's the best way to use it up.

Here's how to make it:

You'll need

5 or 6 pieces of uncooked bacon chopped
2 large carrots chopped
2 large stalks of celery chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 cups of cooked rice (I always use brown rice)
couple big handfuls of ham chopped
1 scrambled egg
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook the bacon for a few minutes. It doesn't need to be burnt. Throw in the veggies for about 5 more minutes. Mix in rice and soy sauce. Cook for 2 or three minutes. Add ham and scrambled egg. Cook until ham is warm. Add salt and pepper. Eat it up!!!!

No comments: