Thursday, November 6, 2008

What do you do.....

"Mommy!!! Mommy!!! Mommy!!!.....(breathing hard, in and out, in and out, very dramatically, holding his hat down so it covers all of his eyes) the wind is going to blow us to Tim-Buc-Two!!!"


Tim-Buc-Two????

The wind was blowing terribly hard today. Terribly hard enough to rip my fence apart. The fence that was cemented into the ground. That's what I get for living on the prairie. It was winter today. Unfortunately. So,what do you do when the wind is strong enough to blow you to Tim-Buc-Two. Make soup. Hardy soup. Soup that fills your belly right up. Potato Soup. Creamy onion and potato soup.
Ingredients:

2 Tablespoons Margarine
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 cup chopped Onion (I just used half of a medium sized one)
1 large clove garlic (I always use three or four)
2 cans of chicken broth or equivalent with bullion cubes and water
4 cups peeled, cubed potato
1/2 cup green sliced onions
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 cup milk
1/3-1/2 jar bacon bits
Garnish with green onion strips


Melt butter in large pan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add onion and garlic; cook one minute until onion is tender. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Add potato and next three ingredients.
Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes until potato is tender. Stir in milk and bacon bits and heat thoroughly. Garnish.

While I was chopping potatoes, a memory flooded my brain of making stamps of them. In girl scouts. Which I hated. (The cookie market was not my forte'.) So, while the soup was cooking, that's exactly what I did. I just drew a design and carved out around it with a grapefruit spoon (it was accessible.) Let me tell you.... a two year old with an ink pad and a potato is one of the funniest things to witness. Just be careful to not let them out of your sight. My walls were decoratively colored with potato stamps today as well. (No worries.....they cleaned up)



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim-buc-two! Hahahahaa! He is so stinking cute. Sorry to hear about your fence, YUCK!
But that soup looks soooo yummy! I am absolutely going to try it (do ya think it will work with vegetable broth?).
Thanks for sharing!
Bing

Lisa Walsh said...

I'm sorry to hear about your fence, too!

Love the potato stamp idea! I just might try it tomorrow.

Kara said...

The soup would be much more tasty without the onions... :)

Stacey J. said...

Binger~ yup you can use veggie broth. I interchange the two all the time.

Lisa~ the potato stamps are awesome and easy to deal with...you just trash them when you're done.

Kara~ No onions!!! What?!!! So what do you eat at Christmas ....since everything has onions in it?!!

Unknown said...

I'm just beginning my journey in Photography. It is fun to know that there is another Stacey J out there:)

beth said...

I eat the cheese ball. :)

Kara said...

ACK! The cheese ball comment was from me, not Beth!!! I was on her computer. Oops!!!!