Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Big Boy Steps

This past weekend was a ginormous step in my son's life. And in mine. He got a big boy bed. Through all the steps he's been through it's always been bitter sweet. This was the most for me. You see... night time is our time together. It's always been just he and I. I've never shared that time with anyone else. Ever. It's always been the most special time. The dark never bothered me and I learned to embrace it when I got up with him after first arriving home from the hospital and these years that followed. Even though I might have circles under my eyes for his lack of sleep, it was worth it to me. I would never, never, never trade it.

Now he has his own little bed. His very own big boy bed for a little boy. His own little place where he can sit and read at night...which is the first thing he did. (He doesn't read, but he likes to pretend.) I didn't hide my tears from him when I put him to bed. He understood. He patted my back. I kissed him goodnight.

PS... how many of you are suprised his room isn't plastered in Elmo?




3 comments:

Kara said...

AUGH! I typed a comment and it got eaten by cyber space!!!

Anyway, I said his room looks so different! I love his bed. We moved B into a big boy bed when we moved into this house and it was the best thing ever. I'm convinced his bed is magic. He's slept through the night twice since we moved here (that's a big thing!) and the other times he's woken up it's just because he was chilly and he can't figure out how to pull up the covers. I love that big bed.

Our little boys are growing up. *sniff sniff*

Lisa Walsh said...

Awwww! I love his room! It looks like it belongs in an old house!

Stacey J. said...

It does belong in an old house.....I just have to find the right one!!!!