Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sidewalk War Wounds

This is the exact reason they say "motherhood is the hardest job there is." Whoever they is. Seeing your child hurt is the most difficult thing a mommy can endure. All you really want to do for them is fix it. Make it better. Take the pain for yourself. If only it was that easy.
On a walk last night my son decided to run free like the wind. He little face gleaming as he ran with one arm swinging and his shoulder a movin'. He really gets into it. He brings his legs way up like he's marching....marching spastically. His shoes got the best of him. I don't know where he could possibly have gotten a clumsy gene from. (looking away sheepishly.) I peeled him from the cement. The screaming had already started. I carried him home uphill for what seemed like miles upon miles, whilst he screamed that his leg was HURRRRTINGGGGG MOMMMMYY in my ear. If I would try to put him down (for fear my back would be cracking in half anytime) he would scream at a higher pitch as if I had personally cut his leg right off. He would limp a step and scream more. When we got home, I had to clean the wound. I blew on it (because that's what I always saw the TV moms do on the commercials....I think it's a ridiculous procedure, just made him cold) then I tried to apply wound fixer goo. Mistake. As was the application of the Elmo bandaid. Bigger mistake. He cried for 2 hours (not even an exaggeration.) He lay in bed as if he had the bubonic plague. Being sure to keep the leg elevated for fear anything would touch it.

Immediately when he woke this morning he told me excitedly that he needed to tell his friends about his war wound. "I gotta show em' mama!"....

Sidewalk war wounds are a big battle at this age!


4 comments:

Kara said...

I was expecting to see a little bit bigger of an owie. :)

We have Elmo bandaids too. They last about 4 seconds before they are peeled off and applied to his shirt. :)

Stacey J. said...

So was I! But first time scraps and scratches are devasting.

His has lasted for two days now. It's a record I think.

Lisa Walsh said...

I can definitely sympathize with you on wanting to take the pain away, even more so after dealing with our first broken bone.

Anonymous said...

I love this!!!! This is so typical "little boy". I would just cry if I got a picture like this of my child. So sweet!
Bing