Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Ride Home

On the way home to Cheyenne today I decided to take a little detour through the country in Platte County. As a kid that didn't really have a hometown, this was closest thing I had to roots. My grandparents lived here, right down the road from these fields. I spent weekends and weeks up until the end of college with my grandmother here on the opposite side of a cribbage board. We would talk about everything and shared secrets. She would cuss in German at me if she lost too many games. We watched reruns of "I Love Lucy" everynight. She wore high heels every time she went to town. She wore lipstick everyday. Her nails were always done. She was insanely creative and always had some sort of project going on. She was argumentative. She taught me that polka dancing was cool (yes I know how to polka dance, and I won't lie, I'm good) As an adult I inherited many of her traits. I miss waking up at the farm and seeing the fields and the corn and the mean dog my grandpa used to keep.
When I got back on the highway I passed a church which had a sign that read "don't live in the past it has no future"...... I don't think it hurts to visit it every now and then though.




1 comment:

Jill R said...

I love this picture. There is something about farm life that makes me want to slow down and enjoy the "trip".