Sunday, October 21, 2007

Banana Bread

October 21st



Today I woke up to snow on the ground. The first snow of the year here. I'm not a huge fan of snow so I was a little disappointed at the sight of it on my Sunday morning. But there is one good thing that comes out of cold days.....good food. I love making banana bread on cold days. The aroma covers the house in a blanket of goodness. And there isn't anything better than eating it hot out of the oven with a big glass of milk.
When I first started making banana bread I was very hesitant about the whole process. I was very culinary challenged and I thought making bread involved hours of time spent in the kitchen watching dough rise and time pass...but to my surprise, banana bread is sooo very easy. This is another thing I only make in the fall...it's just kind of a fall food. My banana bread never comes out brown. I've been concerned about that in the past that I'm doing something wrong...but it taste like heaven in your mouth...so I got over being concerned about it.
So for all of those who are stuck inside twiddling your thumbs because of the cold outside....try this out...it'll make you all warm and fuzzy.

Banana Bread
2/3 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup margarine
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Cup mashed ripe bananas (I always use three bananas)
1 3/4 Cup flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 Cup nut (if desired....I never desire them)

Bake in loaf pan. (I started using the silicone pans. They look like something a 5 year old uses for an easy bake oven, but I've never burnt bread with one. They come in awsome colors now...hot pink, purple, blue...you name it.)

Mix all ingredients and put in greased pan. Bake until brown at 350 degrees for one hour.

No comments: