Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything gets accomplished" is what I had printed on the first piece of recycled paper I made. This was the way we decided to celebrate the day. We made paper. It made a HUGE mess. Park went through 3 pairs of pants because he couldn't resist sitting in the water. We had pulp everywhere. We had a fantastic time and we helped save the planet....a little itty bit. I made it out of old Christmas cards and tulips. I think it would make wonderful presents. Or you can save it for a rainy day and write a love letter (which in my opinion is such a dying art), or you could doodle on it (which is exactly what I did.)

I haven't always been environmentally aware. I would spray on my gallon of aerosol hairspray everyday and not have a second thought. Or throw away every single cream soda can I drank every day (which used to be about a six pack on my worst days.......I love cream soda.) Well, now I look at my little boy and think......"What is it going to be like for him? Will he have enough water to survive. Will he know what fresh air really is?" These are things I now worry about. I can't help it. So......today I wear earrings made of scrap metal instead of plastic. I use environmentally safe make-up...I've changed just a little. I can't preach and teach that I'm perfectly green, but I do my best.

Here is a link to learn how to make you're own paper

http://www.wipapercouncil.org/makepaper.htm






3 comments:

Beth said...

What environmentally safe makeup do you use? We are trying to "go green" at our house, but I never even thought about my makeup.

Stacey J. said...

Physicians formula. They have a few products, but not many. They aren't high end, but that's okay too. I'd like to do a little more research about makeup as I don't think the chemicals are good for you anyway. I'll let you know what I find.

Lisa Walsh said...

That paper looks awesome!