Monday, July 7, 2008

As American as Apple Pie

Week 25: Patriotic...er um American (I'm making a little change)

I have a tradition on the 4th. No matter how busy I am, no matter what is going on, I try to make an apple pie. It's what I think of always when I think "American." I'll be honest though, I'm not the best pie crust maker. I want to be. I strive to be...but I'm not. I don't make them often as pies in general kind of make me sad. I don't eat them often either. My grandmother was the best pie maker I have ever met. She could whip out 15 pies in a day easily. Whenever I would walk into her house after the long 14 hour drive, no matter what time of day it was, there was always a counter full of pies waiting. I would walk into the house, hug and kiss her and then immediately cut a piece of pie...and probably another after that. You could smell them outside before you walked in the house. Most of my growing up years, I spent the 4th of July smelling those smells and watching fireworks in the tiny surrounding towns. I also remember eating divinity on the 4th of July a few times as she wanted us to see what Christmas was like at her house. (we visited once a year normally in the summer)
So...if any of you cooks out there have tips on crusts, send them my way. I sure could use them!!

No comments: