Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Dessert for the Day

I adore berries in the summer. I adore orange liqueur marinated berries even more. Berries here are extremely expensive as compared to the places in the country where they actually grow. I would love to be near a place that has u-picks. I would be u-picking every other day. So, the berries I do eat, I savor every last bite.

Today's recipe of the day: Angel food cakes with Berries Marinated in Orange Liqueur.

Be sure to leave some berries for the kiddos so no one mistakenly gives them some or they don't feel left out. I can't imagine the treatment I would get if I ate this in front of mine.....it would be disastrous!

For the cake: Ingredients

1 and 1/2 cups egg whites at room temp. (this makes 8 little cakes)

1 1/14 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 1/8 cup sifted flour (this is important, I skipped it and you really shouldn't)

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Whip the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and salt and continue whipping until soft peaks form. With the mixer still running, gradually and 1 cup of the sugar and continue whipping until stiff and the sugar has dissolved. Sift the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar with the presifted cake flour 3 times, to aerate the mixture. Fold into the egg white then fold in vanilla.
Spoon into extra large muffin pans (I used the mini-bundt pans, I think they look cuter!) Bake until golden brown at 375 degrees. Turn upside down on lifted cooling rack (It keeps the tops from getting squishy. Let cool for about ten minutes. Run butter knife around them and then knock out.

Marinated Berries

1 pint of strawberries or more if needed
1 pint of blueberries
(You can use any berries that you want really)
1/4 cup orange liqueur (I used Cointreau)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

2 mint leaves, julienned (this makes it sooooo good)
Whipped cream for garnish. (I used fresh because I had it)

Mix all the but the last ingredient and let set for about 1-2 hours before serving. Spoon over cakes and then top with whipped cream.

No comments: